bands links writings contact thanks home

The story of TUSH started in 1976 when Dany Lademacher and Charlie De Raedemaecker (b. 1948 June 15th) decided to disband their band Klepto. It was a young singer, WalterPaaDe Paduwa (b. 1953 Feb. 1st) who started the spark for this new rock band. During those last Klepto months, Walter had joined the others a few times on stage to sing along some songs. He had never been in a band before but really enjoyed these little stage appearances, so when Klepto finally got on hold he asked his friend Charlie to form together a new band. Walter was that enthusiastic that he also managed to convince Dany to join them. They initially named themselves Toxic Cow-dung and the following weeks all three worked separate on new material while finally in October 1976 they got together to work things out. The place of action was a private house owned by Jacky, a friend of Charlie, in a little town called Berg. For more than two weeks they gathered every evening in this living room and recorded thirteen songs on a Real to real tape machine.

Walter 1977 01 studio start It was Jan D’Haese from EMI records who came to listen to this demo tape (still without drums!) and he and his college Jef De Boeck immediately decided to give this band a recording contract. By then they had dropped the name Toxic Cow-dung in favour for a more common name: Squeeze. But right after this, Dany got in touch with some musicians in Holland. It was drummer Kees Meerman from Herman Brood’s Wild Romance who phoned Dany a few weeks later, to pack his suitcase because Herman needed an extra guitar player. Dany decided to go for it and stepped in an adventure that became a rock and roll rollercoaster since day one.  As he didn’t want to let the others down, he agreed to help them out playing guitar just for the recording of the album and so it happened that he brought his new friend Kees along, to play the drums.
Walter recalls:”So EMI knew before these recordings that this line up would never made it to the stage, but we were sure to find some replacements and maybe when this album would sell,… then possibly Dany could come back, as nobody knew by then if Herman Brood would be successful...”
A few weeks later, in January 1977 the band was in the Start Studio (later re-named Swan Studio’s) in Buizingen to make a proper recording. Charlie remembers the fine atmosphere during these sessions: “everything went very well during our three week stay there, we could work day and night as we slept at the studio itself and could relax in its own swimming pool”. When they found out that there was already a British band named Squeeze they had to change their name again.
Walter 1977 01 studio start
It was Walter who came up with TUSH: “I was crazy about ZZ Top, who by then just had released their Tejas album. This song-title from the Fandango album we both liked as it can stand for different things, although EMI messed it up by putting a period between each character”.
Jan D’Haese Jan D’Haese who became their manager, supervised the whole project and was mentioned on the sleeve with his nickname John Wooldridge, while Christian “djoem” Ramon mixed the recordings. Including mastering it took this album only six weeks to get ready for release, which was a remarkable short amount of time.So without ever have played a single gig, this original line-up was disbanded and this had left Charlie and Walter the heavy task to find suitable replacements in a few months.
In May Dany and Kees agreed to step in for a photo shoot in Koekelberg, to have some pictures available for press release. The very last time the original four appeared as TUSH was on a television program for BRT TV.
For an item called “Rock in Belgie” they were filmed and interviewed at EMI recording studio’s.
The actual release itself was postponed quite a few times so that it only hit the shops at the end of September 1977. Entitled “We’re Just Boys”, the front cover showed a picture of Walter and Charlie that wasn’t very rock and roll after all. Walter: “We had absolute no idea for the record sleeve so when it was about time for the release a photographer took us for a session to some sort of farm with a terrible result...  We should have used only the name TUSH for the front without stupid pictures. Maybe we look so sad because we knew this project was already dead right before it started...”
The album was a reasonable enough release, simply heavy rock & roll. “No No No” a fine boogie-song was one of the (reworked) tunes Walter had been singing on stage with Klepto. The funky “Roosevelt And Ira Lee”, a cover-tune (with sax) from Tony Joe White contrasted very much with rockers such as “Atomic Slaughter”, “Greyhound Bus” and “Don’t Drink Anymore”. Followed by this Belgian release this album was seen in the shops in Holland, Germany, Spain and probably a few more European countries.
Walter, Kees, Dany en Charlie
Next to the album release, EMI put out “No No No” as a single in December 1977 throughout almost the whole of Europe.  But it failed to really hit the mark, while a more radio-friendly song, as the Eagles-like ballad “Jeffrey”, could probably have been a better choice. The single was released in Switzerland, Spain, Portugal, Holland and Germany. “No No No” was also the Belgian contribution to the popular European radio contest “Radio-Vision: European Pop Jury” and when it finally won, this helped to get the necessary airplay.
Unfortunately TUSH wasn’t ready yet for the live-promotion. On drums came Eric (?) while Dany was replaced by two young guitar players from Tervuren, Franky Tommelein and Pieter Van Leeuwen. Eric’s only appearance was for the “Tienerklanken” television show on BRT TV.
A few weeks later they replaced Eric by Dirk Vanganzbeke. This new line-up was seen for the first time on another TV-show; RTB’s “Follies”, once more performing their single “No No No”. Then they started rehearsing in the cellar of a club in Auderghem called Le Gemeaux, a place who also used to be the home of Kleptomania. Soon they came up with quite a lot of new compositions to extend the set-list of their upcoming live shows.
TUSH eventually was seen playing some concerts but none of those were really impressive. The very first one, with five super-nervous musicians on stage, was in a small town called Bost and took place on March 8th, 1978. Most of the set-list contained new material (CAC”, “Just For Fun”, “Sweet Something”, “Femme Fidele”, “Sick Tonight”, “68 Is Over) along with only four album tracks and a few cover-songs (Cliff Richards’ “My Kinda Lifeand Chuck Berry's Johnny B Goode, renamed Charlie B Goode). Five more gigs would follow (April 9th at Herzele, April 29th at Meise’s Sportcentrum, April 30th at Wortel’s First One (along Tjens Couter & musique boitsford 1978 poster
The Misters), Mai 5th at Archennes’ Hall and finally Mai 26th at Watermael-Boitsfort’s Chapiteau.
May 1977 This last one was organised by ex-klepto guitar player Wim Hombergen who put four bands on the bill with former Kleptomania musicians.It seemed quite logic that the original four got on stage together to perform an old Klepto classic….
A few weeks later a rock version of the Equals hit “Baby Come Back” entered the shops.
Still recorded at the album sessions with Dany (and by then already left out to be the second single), it was probably released to match up the sales of the album. Charlie:”EMI never really asked us to record anything new as they knew this group was really adrift so it didn’t take long before the band split-up”.
Despite the fact that they were booked for six more festival gigs in August 1978, “the boys” ultimately failed to make their big breakthrough with this new single and disintegrated in June. Walter: “I admit that I was the main reason for this break-up; if things had worked out better with the new guys and if this band would have been some sort of real success, I guess I would have continued. Franky, Charlie, Dirk, Walter en Pieter
I started this whole adventure for fun, but as it appeared since the departure of Dany I turned out to be the man in the spotlight, something I didn’t like at all! I simply didn’t considered myself as a top-class singer; I stayed a music-fan in the first place and heard so many influences from all those great voices, that I was then unable to find my true identity as a singer. At the end it turned out that I asked myself “What am I doing here; I’m not the star”; that’s why I still hate the song “I am a star” from the album. It is probably the main reason for my lack of motivation, while my daily job made it easy to return to the life I had before the band…”
Tv show Charlie continued with the others; Franky took over the singing, and renamed the band Superhuit. They didn’t play live but worked for quite a few months till the band had a demo tape (recorded at Alfie Falckenbach’s home-studio once more with Chris Ramon as engineer) with a complete set of new songs, still rocking but also with a lot of influences of the fresh “new wave” sound. The day Superhuit would sign their recording contract with Alfie Falckenbach one of the guitar players didn’t showed up.
When the others finally found him, he refused to sign and so he disbanded another opportunity, and with it a complete set of great songs to the vaults....Charlie who had since then only done a bit of session work (he’s f.i. featured on the 1979 Vankessel album “Ballen”) had enough of it and sold all his stuff to try his luck in California. He left Belgium in January 1980 and would work in Los Angeles for a year and a half. Illuminaty was an American hardrock band he initially played in, but soon he became the singer in a band called The Kind.
Back in Belgium Charlie got a proposition to record a single (“Surprise” & “The Backyard”) and he started playing as Charlie Maker. Another offer came from Philippe Lafontaine and this resulted in his second 45rpm, this time in his native language (“Mais Moi Ca Va” & “L’amour Aie”). Next release happened in 1985; “Sextimewhile a year later ”YaYaHic & Ho“ came out as a single but only in Canada. In September 1987 he played music and acted in a theatre-play called “Jail” and two years later he contributed as composer (“Cocaine”) and actor in Tarifa for the movie “Last Shot/Overdose”. He stayed in Spain until 1992 when he was asked to play in theatre once again, this time for a play entitled “Fou’l Contact. Another year later he records a solo album entitled “Voyage” who unfortunately never saw the light of day. Since then he kept playing as Charlie Maker Band, much at the Flanagans club he worked (and where he organised weekly jam-sessions) but it was only since 2003 he had formed a steady band.
Together with JC Massaux (guitar), ThierryJeff Allenbeck (guitar, vocals), Jerry Delmotte (drums) and Sébastien Coppens he finally managed to release in 2006 his first cd entitled “Live Music”. It contained great rock tunes Charlie had written during his entire career and even three reworked songs from the TUSH long-player. By the end of 2007 there was a treat in store for Belgian rock fans as Kleptomania reformed to play some gigs early 2008.
Drummer Dirk Vanganzbeke was seen behind the kit of rock band Once More (later renamed Luna Twist) after his Superhuit adventure.
Unlike Charlie, Walter would sing only sporadic after TUSH. The first project he enjoyed doing was called Rouge; a band he had grounded with bass-player Alain Goutier and guitar player Thierry Plas (who by then had joined Machiavel). On October 30th, 1979 they recorded a three song (“Made In A Hurry”, “Little Jane”, “Try To Smile”) demo tape but nothing happened with this music. Eric, Charlie, Frankie, Pieter en Walter
In November 1981 Walter was approached by some Flemish musicians who asked him to write melody-lines and lyrics for two songs they had recorded yet. Later on, both songs “In My Carand Something To Teasewere recorded in a studio in Aalst, and although the result was quite good (especially the bluesy hardrock on “In My car”), he never heard of these people again.
For another unreleased song entitled “I Wanna Be Free”, Walter asked Wim Hombergen from Kleptomania to make arrangements and to play guitar. They recorded it on August 10th, 1982 and to this day it sounds probably as fresh as it did in 1982.
1979 stickers to use Dany's fame... In 1994 Walter saw a dream come true as he could work as a professional dj on national radio “Classic 21". To this day he’s twice a week “on the air” with the music he likes while next to this he also compiles his own compilation records with old music from the vaults.
Around the same time he also started rehearsing with an old friend, bass-player Alain Goutier and soon they had formed a complete band (Werner Breito, Paolo…) named Wolfpack. This time they played the music Walter loved most of all: dirty blues and boogie. Their only claims to fame were two concerts; one in Brussels and one in Bissegem supporting Canned Heat. After all, an argument between two of the members, once more made them decide to put this one on hold. It is not impossible to see Walter one day on stage again: “as long as it’s music I like, as dirty boogie or solid rock ‘n’ roll and as long as I don’t have to play the leading part, I think I would probably accept...” 
The last TUSH news came in 2006 when Walter and Charlie decided to make the album available on cd. One of the album tracks “I’m a Star”, a song Walter never had liked in the first place, was left off. Instead it contained four unreleased songs (“He’s Back”, “Let Me try”, You’re A Leech” and “Unsettled Man”) from that very first thirteen song demo. Strange that a few other unreleased songs as the beautiful “Freedom Train” are not included. Maybe in the future they will end up on a record from one of the musicians involved…
tush 2008